Friday, March 9, 2012

Energy Saving LED light or CFL?

How many light bulb do you have in your house? Unfortunately, there are nearly 80 of them in my house. All are CFL type, which 5 years ago, it is sounds very "environmental friendly". (Please check my old article about CFL usage in Bangladesh). However, now day, people realize that in fact it is not that environmental friendly and having similar risk as the normal Florescent light where it contain mercury.

The CFL is mean to stand about 5000-8000 hours, however in reality the CFL bulb in my house seldom last 2 years. CFL bulb replacement is happening every now and then. Luckily, the cost of CFL bulb is not that expensive, around RM13-18 each. However, the trouble occur when the replacement of the CFL bulb, where it always broken easily when unscrewing them and cause the contamination of mercury indoor. With the current blooming of cheap LED light, I am very keen to replace all my light bulb to this "Low Risk" and "Energy Saving" light bulb.

I did some study on the LED light in the local market. I noticed that the price tag of the branded LED light is 5-6 times higher than CFL. The Philips LED light bulb cost more than RM90 in TESCO. When visiting local wholesale electrical shop, 9W Philips cost RM78, while 5W Philips LED light cost RM68. Still, it is far too expensive as the "long lasting" feature is yet to be proven. Panasonic LED light blub claim it can be used for 40 years (of course testing with very limited usage per day).

In the process of sourcing reasonable LED light, I brought some samples from local wholesale electrical shop, where 3W LED light bulb cost RM18, while 4W cost RM 28. Both of them are too dim and unable to reach the similar level of lumens (Lm) emitted by CFL. Then, I order some LED light bulb from China, 7W 166 piece of LED Cool White, is cost RM 18 each. The shipping from China took about one month.

When open the box, the seller just did a very poor job where its packaging is rather too simple and post high risk of damage goods. The LED light looks solid on the screen, however, it is actually build with plastic parts and very fragile. Tested the first batch of the LED light and they work perfectly fine. However, the 7W light bulb still not in par with the 13W CFL, and the cool white LED emitted blueish light. As I already get use to the bright CFL, these LED still feel a bit dim to me.

After turn on the LED light for a few second, I start noticing some dizziness with the light. I know that some people is sensitive the CFL and it cause some sickness symptoms, however, I am fine with CFL. But, these LED did cause dizziness and nausea to me. I am not sure if the blueish light cause the problem or its flipping frequency is annoying me. I will probably unable to find the answer and the only solution is to replace the LED back to CFL again.

But, how to deal with all the LED bulbs that cost me a few hundred buts to shipped from China? Probably will place it some strategic location to prevent the unwanted visitors.



  


1 comment:

bbeled said...

Hi,

Interesting blog. LED light are a very popular vehicle accessory, particularly among the younger generation. LED lights to provide a much brighter light, which can only improve night driving conditions. Most LED lights are similar to strobes in that they are color balanced to daylight temperature. Some LED lights come with the ability to be both daylight and tungsten as well as everything in between. Thanks a lot for sharing this blog with everyone.

Led Tunnel Light